William Irvine's speech at the launch of the EU-funded project "Enhancing Criminal Justice in Kazakhstan"
Your Excellences, Ambassadors, distinguished guesses, Ladies and gentlemen,
I wish you a very warm welcome to this project launch. My name is William Irvine and I have the privilege to be the Project Team Leader working on behalf of Northern Ireland-Cooperation Overseas NI-CO. this project to Enhance Criminal justice in Kazakhstan is about working in partnership with our Kazakhstan colleagues to sustain and expand the development work on which you are already engaged. We bring experience across many disciplines and countries which will be of help. The project is funded by the European Union and is part of a larger EU funded programme in Kazakhstan which includes the Council of Europe and UNECIF managed by NI-CO on behalf of a consortium which also includes the UK Ministry of Justice, Stichting Reclassering Nederlands (the Dutch probation service) and the Polish National School of Judiciary and Public prosecution (Krajowa Szkola Sadownictwa I Prokuratury). My team colleagues and I look forward to working with you over the next 30 months and hope that what you learn about the project today will be of help in deciding how we will work together. We are not here to impose any particular system of operation but rather to assist in implementing a system that is appropriate to Kazakhstan and help to fulfil the ambitions of the President and people of this country in relation to increased compliance with international standards and best practice in criminal justice.
I am now delighted to invite His Excellency Mr Nurlan Abdirov to introduce this morning’s distinguished speakers.
- About the book “Status successfully: the lessons of legal reforms” by Saule Mektepbayeva
- The future of criminal justice in Kazakhstan was discussed in Astana
- Anti-crisis communications: strategy and tools for working with the mass media
- EU supports Kostanay Academy in developing a Center of Excellence for the probation officers
- EU enhances HR management of law enforcement agencies in Kazakhstan
- There are no scheduled events