EUCJ experts help to develop a joint algorithm for implementation of the pilot project "Rehabilitative prison"
On December 4-5, 2017, Kazakhstani and international experts visited the AK-159/18 (Karabas) and AK-159/20 (Dolinka) prisons operated by the Department of criminal executive system facilities in the Karaganda region to develop a pilot project for the "Rehabilitative Prison".
The "Rehabilitative prison" project is aimed at preparing a convict to live at liberty, that is, to resolve the issue of his employment, providing a place to stay, providing medical services, mastering the profession, psychological support, providing advice on obtaining benefits and social benefits established by law, assistance in restoring family or other social ties.
Deputy head of the EUCJ project Ben Zengerink, national expert Ilyas Nurmaganbetov and the international expert Ton Daans participated in this 2-days tour to the region. They presented recommendations for developing an algorithm for further implementation of the pilot project of a "rehabilitation prison".
After a familiarization tour of the institutions identified for the pilot project, a meeting of consultative and advisory bodies was held in Akimats of Abay rayon and Shakhtinsk city. The participants discussed implementation of the pilot and assistance to the activities of institutions on the execution of punishment. As a result, a draft joint implementation algorithm for the pilot project was developed for implementation of paragraph 16 of the Action Plan of the Comprehensive Strategy for the Social Rehabilitation of Citizens released from prisons and those who are under the Probation Service for 2017 - 2019 (Decree No. 912 of the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan of December 29, 2016).
The delegation included the staff of the Criminal executive system, the General Prosecutor's Office, the Ministry of Religious Affairs and Civil Society, the DIA and the Department of criminal executive system; representatives of the prosecutor's office, akimats of the Karaganda region, Abay rayon, Shakhtinsk, various non-governmental organizations; national and foreign experts of EUCJ, as well as members of the interdepartmental working group.
- Why are there few acquittals in Kazakhstan?
- Presentation of the final report "Justification and Rehabilitation in the Criminal Process: Current Practice and Development Prospects" at KAZGUU University
- Astana hosts International Conference "Towards a society without torture: progress to date and next steps"
- Astana will host an International Conference "Towards a society without torture: progress to date and next steps"
- The Committee for Legal Statistics and special accounts of the General Prosecutor’s office of the Republic of Kazakhstan introduces the blockchain technology with the EUCJ’s support
- There are no scheduled events